Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Japanese Fashion Part 1

As you may or may not have noted in my past posts, I am enrolled in Japanese as a foreign language. I am in my third year of study, and I have more recently become engaged in their trends and pop culture in the past few months.

As a side note, I will even be traveling to Japan this summer. *Note to self to blog about that upcoming trip later*

However, another thing I've been looking up and researching, is the fashion of Japan. One thing that can be noted immediately, is that Japanese fashion is very different from what is fashionable in America. Not necessarily a completely different league of its own, but rather a much more diverse and unique fashion sense can be found walking the streets of the big cities. People are much more okay with dressing in an outfit that may be considered over-the-top or extreme in America.

What you may not realize right away, is that most of the fashion trends in Japan are of western influence. In fact, around the mid-nineteenth century is when western fashion began to emulate in Japan. As of the twenty-first century, street fashion has developed. Street fashion is where you will more likely see the extreme clothing mentioned before.

Avant-garde would be a safe way to describe this "extreme" fashion sense. It is innovative, experimental, and pushes the boundaries of accepted social norms.

Lolita is one particular fashion style. It is seen widely in Japan, and has numerous subtypes on its own. Although, I think Wikipedia can explain it better than I, I will just briefly summarize it, and you can pursue the link I post if you are still curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment