Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

The artist that is me.

If you already know me, then you know that I love art. I draw, paint, and occasionally sculpt. I enjoy taking many art classes at my school, and plan on expressing myself through art for the rest of my life.

I would not call myself a professional artist by any means; I'm in high school. But it is a passion of mine, and in my eyes, that's enough to call myself an artist.

I always saw drawing as a hobby of mine, but now I'm starting to perceive it as a lifestyle. When I'm drawing or sketching, the pencil feels at home in my hand. Rarely do I not doodle in class. Only too often, I catch myself looking at something in the real world, and brainstorming how I could sketch it into a composition. And I love colors. "Colors" in itself could get on the list of my favorite things.

The project that I'm working on now is actually an assignment in the drawing class that I'm taking. It's a perspective project, which means we're supposed incorporate two-point and three-point perspectives. Basically, those techniques are supposed to achieve the look of- for example- a skyscraper when you are looking up at it from the ground. The top of the building is smaller compared to the bottom, since it's farther away.

For that, my composition is a little girl hanging upside down from a jungle gym. The perspective is looking up at her from the ground. When I first started, I wondered whether I'd settled on a composition that would be too difficult. But now, as I'm nearing the finished project, I really like how it's tying together.

My interest in art somewhat branches into my interest in writing. In my own way of explaining it, art is creating pictures with pencil, paint, or pastel. Writing is creating pictures with words.

Art history also fascinates me. One of my favorite major art events in history was the art revolution. In short, this was when cameras were invented, so now portraits and landscapes didn't need to be drawn. Thus, artists had to find something else to draw or paint.

One of my favorite quotes referring to the art revolution is this:

"When everyone could create naturalistic landscapes or portraits with a camera, it made little sense for artists to do so laboriously with paint and brush. Thus, painters began to think of canvas not as a reproduction of reality, but as an end in itself. The purpose of a painting was not to mirror reality, but to create it." (McGraw-Hill)

That quote came from a textbook! Honestly, I didn't think I'd read something like that in a textbook, but I'm glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment