Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lion King, and other 3D movies.

The earliest 3D movie that I remember from my childhood was "Sharkboy and Lavagirl." Way back when 3D was paper glasses making it look like a hand was actually reaching at you. At the time, it seemed really cool.

But then came "Avatar". The big 3D movie with special effects that was supposed to change everything. Honestly, I didn't see the movie until it came on DVD. But there was enough hype for me to get the picture. Now 3D was RealD, and the picture would look like you were actually there in the movie.

The very first RealD movie that I actually saw was "Tron". It was quite the experience, although after a while, it definitely made my eyes tired. As someone so accurately described the ways of RealD, it's like the movie is taking place on a stage, where everything is in the correct perspective, and nothing jutting out too far at random and awkward times.

Now, most recently, I saw "The Lion King" in RealD, which was quite awesome, considering it was one of my favorite movies as a child. I found this experience particularly epic, because it brought new life to a classic movie.

However, I heard the other day that RealD movies are going downhill. The cost of having movies in RealD isn't paying off with how many people actually see it in RealD. Why this is, I'm not sure.

But the reason why I don't see as many RealD movies as 2D? Because it's paying 2-5 more dollars, for the same movie. When I saw the midnight premiere of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 2, I saw it in 2D. Two of my friends saw it at the same movie theater at midnight also, but in RealD. Their thoughts? It was really cool. When Voldemort was died, they said it looked like the little pieces of Voldemort were flying up right in front of your face. I admit, that would be neat. But guess what? VOLDEMORT STILL DIED. Seeing it in RealD doesn't change the plot or ending of the movie.

So is RealD worth it? Well, in the case of The Lion King, I think it was. For Tron and Avatar, it probably was. But will I go see Crazy Stupid Love in RealD? Or would I have enjoyed Marley and Me more if it wasn't just available in 2D? I say probably not. When the movie has special effects that are seen even more dramatically in RealD, then that may make it cooler. But for movies that don't have many special effects, I'd stick with the 2D.

Will I feel the same when I move out and have a career that pays enough me to always be able to see the movie in RealD? I don't know. All I know is that a movie is essentially a story on screen. If the RealD doesn't enhance the story enough to make me satisfied even though I payed more for it, then obviously not.

No comments:

Post a Comment