Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Ed Sheeran


For my the newest musical spotlight, I have selected Ed Sheeran.
First, I'm going to say a couple things I immediately like about him.
1) He's a ginger. I can't help but feel a strong connection to my rare brothers and sisters.
2) He's British. Hearing a foreign accent in music automatically increases the awesome-ness.

But besides those two very important points, there are many other excellent aspects of Ed Sheeran that makes him one of my favorite singers.

Ed Sheeran is twenty years old, and has one Irish and one English parent, so he's essentially a British Leprechaun. He was raised in West Yorkshire, and learned guitar while he was fairly young. He started writing songs in high school. He began recording in 2005 and has had a few EP albums since then. Just in 2010, he released his first official debut album, "The A Team."

"The A Team" music video came out in April 2010, and has shot up on British music ratings. It's not getting as much attention here in the states, but few people are definitely noticing him.



The song, to be direct, is about a prostitute. There is another song of his, called, "Little Lady," which is sort of a spinoff of the original. The instrumentals are the same, as is the chorus, however the verses are different. Instead they are rapped by Mikill Pane, a British rapper. It tells a more graphic, moving story, although is definitely for a more mature ear.



It is definitely a sad song. Personally, it has really made me think. Without insight, one might look down on prostititutes. In reality, you might not know their story; they could be stuck in a place they don't want to be.

Ed Sheeran's genre is flexible. He sings sweetly, but also raps and beatboxes. The following is a cover he did of a folk song, "Wayfaring Stranger." This also features beatboxing.




And yes, I did mention that he raps. "You Need Me, I Don't Need You," is a song he wrote and produced shortly after switching record companies.


Another one of my favorite songs by him, is another powerful one. "Small Bump" is about the love a parent has for a child.




Seeing the ending, you know that the parent had a miscarriage. From what I've seen on the internet, he wrote this for his friend, who went throught the same situation.

Another song of his is called, "Lego House." I find it to be a cute song really, but the music video is what I find fairly amusing. It stars Rupert Grint, another fellow ginger.



"Miss You," is another song of his, and it's more upbeat and skippy.


I can honestly say that Ed Sheeran is one of my top favorite artists. I hope you found something in this post that you liked!

No comments:

Post a Comment