Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Holmes vs. Ironman

Robert Downey Jr.

Mmmm. I'm not one who typically gushes over the attractiveness of celebrities, but I think anyone with common sense would agree that this man is quite handsome.
I think most know him because of the roles he played in Ironman 1 and 2, and Sherlock Holmes 1 and 2. So I think I'm going to compare those movies, and his role in both.

In Ironman, Downey plays Tony Stark, a loaded, intelligent, and slightly arrogant man who owns a weapon company that he inherited from his father. As most know, the story is that he builds a highly advanced suit, filled with guns and lasers, which he uses to battle bad guys.

In Sherlock Holmes, he plays Holmes, as an intelligent detective, who solves crimes with his BFF Watson. The two characters are both very smart, and end up having some sort of epiphany or, "Brain-blast," to quote Jimmy Neutron. They then use their incredibly good looks, agility, strength, cunning, and strategic charm to save the day and the heroine.

Don't get me wrong, I love these movies. But unfortunately, that's exactly how a lot of movies play out anyway, so we'll all just have to deal with it.

So who is better? Ironman or Holmes? Robot or detective? In  my own opinion, I like Sherlock much better than Tony Stark. Downey's character in Sherlock seems much more humble than Tony Stark, who is fully aware of his attractiveness. Holmes is also characterized as a quick thinker, strong for his size and build, and really good at reading people, and predicting what will happen.

Such as in this video, from the first movie. Holmes analyzes the fight in his head before it even happens.


In Ironman, I perceived Stark as more arrogant. A little more careless when it came to fighting, yet still perfectly capable. Also more careless with his love life in the beginning. He is still very smart, but without the appeal that I have for his character in Sherlock Holmes.

Speaking of which, the sequel is amazing. Most definitely worth seeing. That is all.


No comments:

Post a Comment