Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

I like my Girl Scout cookies.

The other day, I was casually browsing Facebook, when I saw that one of my friends had posted a link to an article about boycotting Girl Scout cookies. So of course, like any other cookie lover would do, I click the link to see what all the hubbub is about.

"Girl Scout Cookies boycott sought by teen after organization admits transgender child"

The article was about a teen Girl Scout who posted a video complaint that GSUSA had admitted a transgender child. Her claim was that they are breaking their own rules, and they are not providing a safe environment for the other girls in the troops by admitting transgender children.

I couldn't help but think of our fantastic AP Lang terms while reading the article, and watching the video. She makes a claim that GSUSA failed at providing a safe environment for the members by admitting a transgender child. Her evidence is from the rulebook, which states they only let in girls (with technical details about if the child is perceived as a girl), and that they violated it. Her warrant is that letting in transgender children would be unsafe.


This is a video response to the original video, from a transgender herself. She makes a point of the whole safety issue, and that if it was unsafe for anyone, then it would be the transgender child. 

"You talk about safety. About how having transgender girls in girl scouts violates safety standards, and makes you feel unsafe. If anyone were to pull this kid's pants down- and that's the only way anyone would ever know that she's a girl- then Hell yeah that's an unsafe environment. Unsafe for the trans-kid though. Not you."

She closes with an emotional statement about her own viewpoint as a transgender:

"I'm afraid of being in certain places at certain times. I live in fear. I always feel unsafe. And if there is one more place on earth where a trans-kid can be themselves without so consistently being hampered by anxiety, isolation, worry, and despair and concerns about safety...if one more transkid doesn't feel like they have to die because no one will accept them as they are, then I might just have some faith in humanity for once."

I feel as though the girl from the original video focuses a lot on evidence and credentials(she wears her own Girl Scout sash), but kind of leaves the viewer hanging when it comes to the value side of the issue. For some issues, you should avoid having a too personal opinion, but this sort of issue is an issue because of clashing opinions. She assumes most of her audience would agree that having a transgender be in Girl Scouts would be unsafe, when not all of them would.

The second girl(or maybe she would prefer to be called a boy? I am honestly unsure) focuses a lot on her own opinion, but has credentials and support because she has first-hand experience.

So am I going to boycott Girl Scout cookies? For this cause, absolutely not. I like cookies. And I am also liberal when it comes to these kinds of issues. I am leaning towards the side of the second girl, that transgender children should be treated equally if they really want to join.



No comments:

Post a Comment