Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My problem with mechanical pencils.

In my very personal opinion, I do not like mechanical pencils. What's the point of them? It's just plastic that wishes it was a pencil. Not to mention, you have to constantly supply it with lead, so that it may actually function.

I look around my classrooms lately to see a large chunk of students using mechanical penicls, and I wonder to myself, "Of all people in the world, do teenagers really show the proper commitment skills to consistently use a mechanical pencil?" Honestly, I would hate to have to go to the store to buy lead for a mechanical pencil. I much prefer plain wooden pencils. They feel more comfortable and more familiar in my hand. Bonus: I'd much rather walk across the room to sharpen a pencil, then having to refill it.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with commitment. I would just rather not be in a commitment-required relationship with a pencil.

This was originally going to be a rant about my dislike for mechanical pencils, but I feel it slowly turning into a discussion of commitment.

Commitment to classes, friends, family, and previously-made promises are important. Commitment to making time for the priorities in your life, and learning to balance what's due now with what's due later. Also planning assignments accordingly with your schedule outside of school. These skills are developed through commitment, and trial and error. You soon use them later in life with your career and social life, or significant other.

I feel strongly about staying committed to promises. Saying you'll do something, than not doing it is one of my biggest pet peeves. It doesn't even require the actual use of the word, "promise," like it did in elementary school. Promising to show up somewhere, then leaving the person hanging without explanation is disrespectful, despite whatever reason they didn't show up.

If you want to create a committal relationship with your pencil, I don't mind. You will not find me making a promise to my pencil, "I will fill you up when you are empty, take care of you through the thick and thin, and try my hardest not to drop you under my desk in the middle of class, because we know how embarrassing that is for the both of us."

Just remember to keep your priorities straight- beyond my example of a completely exaggerated personification of a pencil.

No comments:

Post a Comment