Pages

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Seuss-y goosey

"Big D, little d, what begins with D? A dozen donuts and a duck-dog, d d d." Even seeing that on the screen, I hear it with it's obvious rhythmic, almost musical beat.

I had many Dr. Seuss books when I was little- so much so that they filled my fancy four-section bookcase. With their colorful pictures, and consistent rhythms, I loved reading them.

I've always thought so highly of Dr. Seuss. Even growing older, I was amused while reading his stories. As one of my previous LA teachers told me, it can be difficult to try and incorporate rhythm into writing so it shows clearly to the reader. When you read Dr. Seuss aloud, it's hard not to read with the beat. I've often thought of Seuss and Shakespeare as similar writers, with their consistency of rhythm in all of their works.

And then, of course the fantastic pictures! I don't know who did the pictures, but they are as exciting and colorful as the rhythm and invented words of the reading. I keep seeing the Truffula Trees from The Lorax, one of the more famous Dr. Seuss stories. All the colors, and the description of their texture and softness, really did fascinate me as a child. Not to mention, The Lorax is a story with an obvious moral, spreading the awareness of taking care of the environment to children.

One of my friend's seems to think that Dr. Seuss's works are a bunch of mumbo-jumbo, that don't tell real story. When you think about it most of Dr. Seuss's stories have an important moral, as most children's books should. Oh the Places You'll Go! tells you that you can accomplish anything you want, as long as you set your mind to it. In The Sneetches and Other Stories, the Sneetches teach you that what's "cool" isn't always what's best for you, and that you shouldn't feel like you have to do what everyone else is doing.

I feel it cheesy to say that Dr. Seuss taught me to be myself, respect the environment, and that I am capable of anything. However, he planted the seed of those morals in my head, while also sparking my creativtity and love of pictures and stories.

However most unfortunately, my mom decided to give away my Dr. Seuss books to my cousin a couple years ago. I was surprisingly heart-broken.  I shall get those back when I have kids, whether my cousin likes it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment