Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

School and new friends! Day 9

Tuesday, July 17th:

This homestay is too short! I'm so sad!

This morning, I had rice, salmon, and pork for breakfst. My hostmom packed a lunch (べんと) for me, and drove Sakina and I to school.

We went to the same auditorium room, and there were speeches, and we did self intros. I stuttered so much in mine!!

But then the Japanese asked us questions in front of everyone. A guy asked what we had for breakfast. I raised my hand, and answered in Japanese. However, the word for salmon happens to be the same as alcohol. I knew this, but I figured he'd understand that I mean salmon.

Long story short, I was wrong. As soon as I said, "さけ," he and everyone in the room gaped at me, and Sensei started cracking up. He took the microphone (yes, this was said in a microphone), and explained what I meant. It was soooo embarrassing, but soooo funny!

Apparently, there is a slight enunciation difference between salmon and alcohol. I still don't know the difference. -.-

After that, we watched some video clips from the school's culture festival. There were dance performances, singing performances, acting, and martial arts! It was really cool.

The auditorium room

Then we paired up with a Japanese student, and talked while watching some chemistry/culture presentations. My partner's name was Fumika! She was very sweet and kind. :)

Then we had group conversations. One American student with 3-4 Japanese students. This was very fun, maybe my favorite part. I met many people who love Harry Potter, and have similar music interests. The guys were cool, and the girls were sweet. Someone told me my hair looks like Hermione Granger's! Haha, I took it as a compliment. :)

Then we went to the library, and hung out. We ate lunch with our host brothers/sisters in their classroom, which was cool. The lunch my mom packed was really yummy!

The library.

Eating lunch! Yukika and Kayla!:)

My bento! :)

The classroom we ate in.

Our lunch group! :)


After lunch, we went to a temple nearby. It was really hot, but still fun! Next, we saw a Karate demonstration, which was super cool. Those girls were fierce! Then we listened to traditional Japanese music being performed. It seemed odd at first, but it's actually relaxing.

The Karate girls!

Posing with the Karate girls!

Girl who helped with the demonstrations. Pretty Kimono!

The guys who played music for us!

All of us! :)

Then we played a game at our table. Kayla and her host sister (Yukika) versus Sakina and I. There would be questions asked in English about something Japanese, or asked in Japanese about something American. Therefore we had to work with our host sister to get the answer first.

We got a pack of snack prizes after the game! This was my FAVORITE. It's ice cream coated in rice cake. It's sooo yummy.

School ended, and Sakina and I left with Kayla, Rebecca, Yukika, and Ami (Rebecca's host sister). We walked to a mall area, a one or two miles away, and we took pictures together in a Japanese photo booth! The booths are called Purikura, and are much cooler than the ones in America. You can doodle or add stamps to the pictures before printing them. Although, they add effects to you, so your face and eyes look a little different, like you're photoshopped. We took group photos, then Sakina and I got ones with just us. They turned out so cool!

Finally, a good picture of the outside of the school!

Hanging out after school! Becca, Kayla, Ami, Yukika, and me!

We bid farewell, and Sakina and I walked to the train station to go home. We rain into Savannah and her host sister, Emi, so we sat by them. My host mom picked us up from the train station, and we went to a convenience store to pick up ingredients for dinner. We ate grilled meats on a kabob, and curry rice! It was really good.

After dinner, we had fireworks! The littler ones that are illegal in Iowa, as well as sparklers. They are okay in Japan, so we set them off together. :)

After that, we went inside, and they gave me gifts!! Clothes, a manga, book, fan, keychain, and more. My host family is sooo sweet! I don't want to say goodbye tomorrow! :(

My host family!
Atsushi, Mio, me, Sakina, Eiko, and Achi (the cat)! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment